I never realised the kind of effort it would take for me to do anything until now. So I want to do something besides cooking, cleaning, homeschooling and trying to be super nice to everyone or in other words being just a housewife or “housedaughter”. Housedaughter is not a word. If there ever was such a word then I would have been the definition of that word. Doing everything I am doing as a housewife in addition to waiting on my beloved parents and not having a loving husband. Add a bit of sadness and a lot of “doing nothing for me” to spice things up on the individuality scale.
So now that I can actually do something, what do I do? Seven years out of college, with a undergrad degree in Computer Science that I don’t care much for and writing for English magazines that would have been at 8th grade level in an English speaking country, I feel incapable of doing anything.
I wonder if many muslim women in developed countries feel the same way. I wonder, if, with better opportunities and more support, would I have been different? How many young people with a dream of somehow having a significant effect on the workings of the world, actually end up doing anything more than whatever it is they are expected to in their socioeconomic situation?
So here’s a start.
My To Do list
- Homeschool my kids
- Give them better opportunities than I had
- Encourage their interests and talents and help them polish those.
- Be a great wife
- Maintain my health
- Get rid of my back ache
- Be a better daughter
- Maintain better family ties
- Feed my kids healthy food
- and now that I’ve listed my responsibilities
- Publish many well written children’s books and possibly illustrate them myself
- Go around the world and teach young muslims to be better parents
- Teach elderly muslim women how they can be more supportive of the next generation of young muslim women.
- Help new moms organise their homes and their thoughts so that they stop getting exasperated at not being able to do anything because of their children (like i was).
- Write… something that might be useful to someone and in the process improve my writing skills.
- I have a whole other spiritual to do list to improve my relationship with Allah.
For now that’s about it. I’m sure I’ll have more things to add later. My aim was never to have a public diary, which is what I consider blogging to be. Maybe just maybe, someone out there who’s just woken up from the daze of having 3 kids in 4 years, (and possibly battled alien eczema, and an annoying back), or something similar, might read this and think hey, I can try making a to do list too.
So next up, what action items this to do list entails.
Someone somewhere, whoever you are, thanks for reading, I’d appreciate feedback, and if you’d like to join me on my journey towards doing something let me know, I’m sure we could use each others company.
JazakAllahu khair (May Allah reward you with good).